Jaw Shaving & Reduction
Besides the forehead and eye area, the most significant characteristic of a feminine face is the overall contour. Which is, to a large extent, determined by the shape of the jaw. A prominent lower jaw gives the face a square, masculine look. A look considered unattractive in females. Jaw reduction or shaving can be a good solution as part of your facial feminization surgery.
Gender of the jaw
- Gentle curve from the earlobe to the chin
The male jawbone is usually heavier built and tends to be wider, because of the muscles attached to the corners of the jawbone being larger. Female jaw lines run in a gentle curve from the earlobe to the chin. In males, it tends to drop down straight from the ear and then turn at a sharp angle towards the chin, creating a square appearance.
Feminizing the jaw
Having a jaw reduction can reduce the appearance and size of the jaw, making it rounder and more narrow at the square corners near the back of the jawbone.
Usually, this jaw reduction is combined with chin recontouring to create a harmonious balance of these two adjacent areas.
Patients over the age of 40 may experience some loose skin around the jaw or chin after a jaw reduction. This can be tightened after the original jaw reduction procedure with a lower face-lift.
Procedure jaw reduction
- General anesthesia—General anesthesia is usually required for a jaw reduction.
- Incisions—Incisions are all made intraorally, so no scars will be visible on the outside.
- Micro-saw—Marked areas of prominent bone are cut with a micro-saw, curving down from back to front, to achieve a well-rounded contour.
- Stitching—The wound is closed with self-dissolving stitches.
Recovery of a jaw reduction
- Hospitalisation— Most patients will spend two nights in the hospital following jaw reduction.
- Swelling— Swelling is to be expected and varies greatly from person to person. A special mask will cool the surface of your face and keep bruising, swelling and pain to a minimum. The swelling usually lasts a significant amount of time with these procedures. Swelling and bruising will peak 2-3 days after surgery. It takes six weeks to 3 months for most of the obvious swelling to leave, on average 6 months for every bit of swelling to leave.
- Numbness— Most women experience temporary numbness.
Work and sports: If you don’t mind being seen with the swelling, you may be able to return to your social activities 7 to 10 days after the surgery. You will have to wait until the half or fourth week before doing any hard work or physical exercise.
- Stitches in the mouth— The stitches our self absorbable. They dissolve in about two weeks time.
Complications of jaw reduction
- Infection— Infections are possible but rare.
- Numbness— Partial numbness of part of the jaw because of mental nerve damage (is rare but possible).
- Asymmetry—Even though the surgeon marks very carefully the areas he is going to operate, there may be asymmetries. They can always be corrected afterwards.
FAQs before jaw reduction
That is a very difficult one. It depends very much upon your healing and we can’t give you any guarantee about how long it takes before you look good enough for a photoshoot.
It could be 4 months, but it could also be a year. Of course it also depends on the amount of work that has been done.
If you want you can send us good pictures together with your ideas so we can send you a financial and operative proposal. To receive a proposal, please fill in the proposal request online
and pay the proposal fee of 50 euro through Paypal.
Of course you are always welcome for a consultation.
The volume of the jaw and chin will be reduced and the swelling after this type of surgery can be massive. In a young patient with good elastic skin, the skin recuperates from all that stretching. If you are older, the skin will possibly not completely readapt to the new jaw shape resulting in a previously not existing sagging skin. That is why a lot of older FFS patients (late 30’s and older) may need a facelift. A facelift is best not performed at the same time as a jaw and chin recontouring because the result is suboptimal. We recommend at least 4 months between the two operations. The facelift helps enormously to show off the newly formed jaw and chin, resulting in a very female shape of the face.
The swelling after a jaw angle reduction can be massive. That is why a facelift is best not performed at the same time as a jaw recontouring. The results will be suboptimal. We recommend at least 4 months between the two operations. The facelift helps enormously to show off the newly formed jaw and chin, resulting in a very female shape of the face.
When all blue stains have completely disappeared, after about 3 weeks approximately.
As only bone will be removed from the outside of the jaw and chin, which will give it a feminine shape, the jaw will be no weaker than the jaw and chin of a genetic woman.
A real severe trauma will be necessary to break it. For sure no reasons to worry.
In case the chin needs to be advanced the chin will be separated from the jaw and fixated with screws in it’s new position. In that case the jaw will be weaker in the midline for a period of about 6 weeks. But the screw fixation is so strong that even in these cases a real trauma will be necessary to make the jaw break.
Dental implants normally have a maximum length of 14mm. Natural teeth are longer. That’s why dental implants never create problems during a chinplasty or jaw recontouring.
The removal of bone will be done at the lower border of the jaw, far away from the teeth. So dental implants can be inserted after just as before.
In our experience no bone has ever grown back.
FAQs after jaw reduction
Yes, we use very small titanium screws and plates which are never a problem for an MRI. Also the bonecement does not contain metal.
If you haven’t had any treatment involving your teeth a sliding genioplasty or orthognathic surgery, you’ll be able to eat normally quite soon. Due to the effects of general anesthesia, you should only feel nausea for the first few hours. You may prefer to eat softer or pureed foods initially if you have intra-oral sutures. Patients should prepare accordingly in advance and purchase juices, yoghurt and soups to have during for the first few days after surgery.
After a sliding genioplasty you should be very careful not to put too much force on the lower jaw e.g. by eating raw meat (steak) or biting an apple. The jaw is really weak in the chin area and it will take about 6 weeks until it has regained it’s original strength.
They dissolve in 5 – 7 weeks. They don’t have to be removed. If they would still be in your mouth after 7 weeks you can easily remove them just by pulling as they will immediately break.
You still have another question? Feel free to ask! We will answer your question and if generally applicable add it to the FAQ of this page.