Forehead Contouring Reduction Surgery
The hairline is an identifying trait for gender, and accentuated by age. Forehead reduction/contouring, also called hairline lowering is an important procedure of facial feminization surgery.
Gender of the hairline
The female hairline is variable in position. Ideally would be a hairline 5 to 6.5 cm above the brows and usually beginning at the point where the scalp slopes from a more horizontal position to a more vertical position.
In males the average hairline is higher than the average in females.
Another difference is the shape of the hairline. A man usually has receded corners above the temples that give it an “M” shape. Conversely, the female hair pattern is oval shaped, smoother and full around the facial edge.
An additional difference between male and female hairlines comes with the age. There is a typical male pattern of baldness with a recession of the hairline. How many women do you see walking around with a receding hairline? While biological women sometimes do suffer from hair loss, it is usually an all-over thinning of the hair from the entire scalp and isn’t specifically targeted to one area.
Indication forehead reduction
- Only the widow peaks have to be filled. No overall lowering is needed.
- After a surgical forehead reduction often there are still some widow peaks left that can be filled with transplants (less transplants needed)
- Covering of the forehead reduction scar—Mostly the scar from forehead reduction becomes as good as invisible after 1 year. There are patients though where the scar remains visible. This can always be hided by some implants placed over and before the scar.
Surgical forehead reduction one stage procedure
- Flexible scalp—The flexibility of the scalp determines how much the hairline can be advanced. The hairline will be advanced as much as is possible to close the wound without tension. Normally this gives an advancement of 0,5 to 1 cm. With a very flexible scalp advancements until 2 cm are possible.
- Forehead recontouring—If a forehead recontouring is performed and the incision is made behind the hairline the problem would be that to lift the exces skin after removal of the frontal bossing, a strip of hair baring skin has to be removed. This will cause the hairline to recede more. That is why we mostly recommend to do the forehead reduction procedure as well if you have a forehead recontouring. The lowering effect can be minimal, but at least the hairline doesn’t go up.
Surgical Hairline lowering with tissue expander
- Large advancement—There would be a lot tension on the wounds if the hairline would be advancement more then 1,5 cm. This would cause a wide scar. With a balloon implanted on the back of the head that is gradually filled with fluid, new hair baring skin is created. This new skin allows for the tension free removal of the non hair baring skin to lower the hairline. With an expander a tension free hairline lowering until about 8cm is possible.
- Large widow peaks
- Very tight scalp
FAQs before forehead reduction
That is a very difficult one. It depends very much upon your healing and we can’t give you any guarantee about how long it takes before you look good enough for a photoshoot.
It could be 4 months, but it could also be a year. Of course it also depends on the amount of work that has been done.
If you want you can send us good pictures together with your ideas so we can send you a financial and operative proposal. To receive a proposal, please fill in the proposal request online
and pay the proposal fee of 50 euro through Paypal.
Of course you are always welcome for a consultation.
Many patients experience temporary hair loss. On average the hair grows back in about 6 months.
Yes, of course. We perform Facial Feminization Surgery on all women. Every woman is welcome at our clinic!
You can dye your hair again after 6 weeks.
If you have just a hairline lowering it basically is possible to do hair transplantation at the same time. But practically this is not possible as Dr van de Ven doesn’t do hair transplantation himself. This is done by the hair transplantation clinic, which uses a different operating theatre.
FAQs after forehead reduction
The white skin sutures dissolve in 1 or 2 weeks. If they would still be in the skin after 2 weeks they will easily break when you pull with your fingers.
Before you can start stain your hair again after a forehead recontouring the incision should have healed 100%. If the incision was made a few cm inside the hair (no hairline lowering) this will take about 6 weeks. In case you had a hairline lowering this might take longer (up to 4 months).
You still have another question? Feel free to ask! We will answer your question and if generally applicable add it to the FAQ of this page.