General information about recovery from Facial Feminization Surgery
Swelling and bruising
- Tightness — Feelings of tightness and warmth, due to swelling, are normal and will subside over time.
- Evolution— Swelling is on its maximum 2 to 3 days after surgery. Swelling and bruising may be present for up to 2-4 weeks. It may take up to 3-6 months to see the final results. Patience is required.
- Place and extensiveness— Immediately after surgery the swelling will be mostly in areas of loose connective tissue (cheeks, lips, around eyes). During the first few days, the swelling will move downwards towards the lower jaw and neck due to gravity. Swelling and bruising differ strongly from one person to another and can be anywhere. Bruising may not appear immediately and will gradually fade over the course of several weeks.
What are the post-operative instructions after an FFS?
- Breathing— Most people find it very difficult not being able to breathe through their noses after the rhinoplasty. We will give you some nose drops to open up the nose during your preoperative consultation.
- Appearance—Your nose will regain its normal appearance very soon, but the definitive results of the rhinoplasty will be fully appreciated after six months. The tip is the area that takes the longest to acquire its new shape.
Read about the rhinoplasty procedure and recovery in full detail.
You still have another question? Feel free to ask! We will answer your question and if generally applicable add it to the FAQ of this page.